[AT] Farmall 300

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Mon Mar 29 22:46:28 PST 2004

Karl:

You asked if anyone has worked on a 300 PTO & how pricey are they -

I have a very noisy PTO (noisy when not engaged) on my SMTA which I think
has the same Live PTO as does the 3oo.  I have the transmission cover off
(for another reason) so I figured now is the time to repair the PTO.  I
haven't removed the unit from the tractor yet but it appears you do not have
to remove the cover but simply drain the rear end and then remove the unit
from the back of the tractor.  The unit appears to be self contained with a
coupling on the front which connects to the shaft coming back through the
transmission from the engine.

FWIW I noticed in the Sept-Oct 2003 issue of Red Power Magazine that Mathis
Equipment & Tractor Salvage in Cairo, Missouri (660-295-4456) has a
SMTA/300-450 LPTO listed for $250.  If you opened up the unit on the 300 and
found it would cost more than that to repair it you might opt for just
replacing the whole unit -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington

I have a chance to pickup a Farmall 300, NFE, with good TA, and live PTO
for
$800. I haven't seen it yet but, a friend of mine, who is a mechanic,
says
that the tractor runs great but the PTO is not working. The owner
believes it's
sheared at the PTO clutch.

I don't really need a 300 right now but, For the price I'm tempted to
grab
it...repair the PTO and sell it or trade it towards the  JD630 I'm
always
looking for. Has anyone on the list worked on the PTO of a Farmall 300?
How pricey
is this likely to be?

Any ifo is welcome.

Karl