[AT] Tractors/acre

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 29 08:29:36 PST 2004

Sometimes it might be appropriate to have a mileage counter on our tractors.
Out in the field where we are only cruising along at 4 to 5 mph all day that
could still add up to 50 miles a day. On occasion I have put over 30 miles a
day on the roads with the tractor moving machinery between farms. Farms 8
miles apart means lots of time wasted moving back and forth.
For economy and speed the little Massey Super 90 is the best with a top
speed around 20 mph and the economical Perkins engine. Marginal brakes and
no cab kind of take the fun out of that. Plus its too small for most of the
big machinery. So the 2090 Case often does majority of the running back and
forth. A 15 mph top end seems agonizingly slow sometimes. So theres an 8
mile stretch of grid road that I know very well having plenty of time to
watch the scenery passing by.

Ralph in Sask.
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/lgoff/latestpage.html