[AT] 7M D-7 Cat

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 17:23:15 PST 2004

In a message dated 3/25/2004 7:18:39 PM Central Standard Time,
dadadidi at cccomm.net writes:

> I removed the rear block
> access plate and stuck a bar under the connecting rod on #3 and it has
> movement of over 1/8". Same with #4.

When I removed the flywheel on my D-6, that is about the amount of play in
the crankshaft.  It still runs 6 years later.!!!!  Remember, they only run
around 1200 RPM, so there is not so much other forces at play.....   I would remove
the bearings and try to install oversize bearings.   Use a plastigage or get
one of those cheap digital calipers.   If you are within 15 thousandths, it
would run great.  Use heavy oil and it will probably purr...
 Those old Cats are amazing at the abuse they will take.....