[AT] Rationale for firing orders

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Mar 23 08:07:29 PST 2004

In GM at least there is a big difference in the dampeners. The inlines
basically have just a flange with the pulleys bolted on, no weight or
rubber. The reason the VW is smooth is the same, the inline and 180
degree engines both are balanced. If you look at the flywheels and front
hubs there is no balance weight on either one. They also lack the odd
rocking coupling of motion that the V style engines have. GM tried to do
something about that with the even fire 231s, using a split throw crank
and special damper. It didn't work very well and made the crank weak.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY