[AT] Rationale for firing orders

BetCleve321 at aol.com BetCleve321 at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 15:28:22 PST 2004

In a message dated 3/22/2004 1:09:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
captneb at micrord.com writes:
Can someone help me with a brief and simple explanation of why a motor's
firing order wouldn't always be one-two-three-four?  My Allis WCs are
one-two-four-three but I have no idea why....  I love to kid my in-laws that
they've always prefered John Deere Bs because they can remember the firing
order.....

Roger
Engineer's choice. The crankshaft twists and untwists because of the sequence
of firing and compression events and introducing these events at varing
designed sequences can influence the reliability of the crankshaft remembering the
power comes off one end. Also, remember, the engine tries to jump away from
the crank when it bangs and vice versa. The order of these events have an effect
on what the engine is bolted to and what it feels like to your butt when you
sit on it, among other issues.

Skip