[AT] Rationale for firing orders

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Mon Mar 22 14:22:24 PST 2004

Roger:

You ask "why is the firing order 1-2-4-3 and not 1-2-3-4.
I think the answer is in the way the crank is laid out -

If the cranks in the AC's are like those in the Farmall M then
1)  Pistons 1 & 4 are always in the same position in their respective
cylinders and likewise for pistons 2 & 3 and
2)  Pistons 1 & 4 are 180 degrees out of phase with respect to pistons 2 &
3.
    Said another way, when pistons 1&4 are all the way up 2&3 are all the
way down.

This means then that when 1&4 are at TDC 2&3 are at BDC - so let's say #1
fires this time.
180 degrees later 2&3 are at TDC while 1&4 are now at BDC - so let's say #2
fires this time.
180 degrees later 1&4 are back at TDC while 2&3 are back at BDC - so, since
#1 has already fired, we're left with #4
180 degrees later 2&3 are back at TDC while 1&4 are back at BDC - so, since
#2 has already fired, we're left with #3.

FWIW The firing order for the Farmall M is 1-3-4-2.  This simply means that
in the second firing step above AC fires #2 while Farmall fires #3.  I am
not aware of any advantage of firing one way or the other -

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington