[AT] Agritrac dozer

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 10:11:49 PST 2004

Don,More info.  Cahnged from agricat to agritrac when cat sued them.  Read
on___

Aricat History
Below is from an email I received from another Agricat owner. If anyone
knows more, please pass it along. I have recently heard of the existance
ofthe Agricat Company archives and will continue to track that down

The AgraCat began it's existence in the late 40's as a product of Joost
Manufacturing with subassemblies built by Western Transmission. Both firms
were located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Oakland-Berkeley to be specific.
The layout was to remain the same during it's entire life with the engine
with belt drive to a transmission (2-F, 1-R), chain drive to the steering
clutches and pinion and bull gears to the drive sprockets.
Early models had numerous welded components: brackets, gear cases, track
assemblies. whereas later models made extensive use of castings. This
indicated higher production as the tooling for castings is more expensive
but the overall cost per part is less. The welded steel pan that formed the
chassis remained essentially unchanged as well, although there were several
different track lengths available over the years.
Early models were very simple: a chassis with a seat and foot rests,
controls and everything else in the open. Accessories were operated
mechanically, using compound levers and gravity. They were marketed to
landscape contractors, although a substantial number were sold to railroads
for roadbed maintenance. Hydraulic power became necessary when a loader
model was added, but the semi-mechanical skip loader was only powered up.
Gravity took it back down and it had to be latched on the ground. By the
late fifties, the appearance of the AgraCat began to look more like a "big
Cat". Caterpillar noticed, sued over copyright infringement and the name was
changed to AgraTrac. More hydraulics meant more accessories: a fully
hydraulic loader, power dozer blade and rippers, and a backhoe. Reliable
witnesses have said they spoted AgraTracs working in trenches in San
Francisco during the construction of BART, our "rapid" transit system.
While all AgraCat/AgraTracs I have seen were powered by single cylinder
gasoline engines, it has been noted that a very late model was seen in a
dealer yard with a two cylinder Wisconsin and another with a single cylinder
diesel. This was around 1965 and they were not to be well publicized. Around
that time, AgraTrac was bought out by Freuhauf, manufacturer of the rival
TrackMaster, and all manufacturing was moved to "their new facility in
Fresno" (quoting a factory bulletin). At that point, AgraTrac simply
disappeared from the small tractor scene. This was to be expected as the
versitile Bobcat essentially wiped out the small crawler market.