[AT] Inventor of the Woodruff key...

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Mar 21 08:13:35 PST 2004

Rog:

LOL! When I added the 3 point hydraulic/mechanical load and depth control
linkage inside the rockshaft housing on my JD 620, the last linkage lever to
install had a woodruff key setup. That stinking little key decided to drop
all the way down into the bowels and casting cavities of the rock shaft
housing, past the point of retrieval by any tool I could conceive of
including magnets. Couldn't see it or find it. It had to be found and
removed. I ended up having to remove the whole rear rockshaft housing, a
really big job requiring a cherry picker lift, and turn it upside down to
get that @#$%^&* key to fall out. I used several milking parlor words I
hadn't used since leaving the farm 40 some years ago. Took another whole two
days work because of this perverted usage of a mechanical indexing device.
Since then I think really bad thoughts every time I even see a woodruff key
again.

Some retired or deceased engineer at JD sure had a good laugh though!
Believe it or not, I deliberately scored that half moon key so that there
was a severe interference fit with the shafts slot when I reinstalled it.
That sucker wasn't going to come out again. :-) An ounce of prevention is
worth a pound of cure! :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

CRS = Having a Photographic Memory but a shortage of unused film.

www.deerelegacy.com