[AT] Massey Harris #1 & Challenger

Grant Weir grantweird at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:45:37 PST 2004

Wow, that's a super cool couple of tractors you've got there - especially
the #1 Massey!  I'm sure you are well aware of what a treasure you have
there Joe, even more so in that it's in it's original clothes. :-)   There's
one coming up for sale out this way this summer and they are touting it as
being one of three in Canada.  I think that might be stretching it a bit but
it's still a VERY rare tractor to be sure.  Any pictures?

I've never heard of anyone offering replacements for those pumps.  I only
have experience with the water pumps from the Wallis tractor, but being as
how the MH Challenger is just a Wallis in green overalls, I'll bet they are
much the same.  Mine was pretty simple inside and relied mostly on the
magneto drive gear to hold the shaft in position on the one end and the
water pumps own packing to hold up the other end near the impeller.  I
pressed a new shaft into the impeller, jammed some new packing in there and
called it a day.  The shaft could probably even be built up with some brass
and returned with alright results.  I've never seen water leaking out of
mine - yet. :-)

Good luck and get us some pictures man!  If your really stuck, I konw where
there is a Challenger at a wrecking yard near here.  I could check it out,
but I'll bet it need rebuilding too.  Hmmm....

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada