[AT] OT-seeking info/Thanks

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:04:41 PST 2004

>From: "Steve W." <falcon at telenet.net>
>To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
>Subject: Re: [AT] OT-seeking info/Thanks
>Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:02:50 -0500
>
>Charlie,
>
>Well I'm lucky, I have a few of the old fittings here just in case, but
>for the most part black iron hose fittings seem to work good, I don't
>use gal. simply because there is a chance of the plating coming off due
>guy who had one that leaked, he decided to use some epoxy inside the
>fitting to seal it, I asked him how he planned to get it apart if the
>pump failed, his answer was "a saw"....
>

>Steve Williams
>Near Cooperstown NY

I think you are on target, Steve.  I was studying the new one I bought
yesterday while at work today.  There is a mold line on both sides, 180 deg.
apart and end to end.  I am guessing it is die cast or possibly a powdered
metal, from Mexico naturally, with logo impressions right from the mold.
There is a fair amount of porosity visible which probably reduces the
strength. It is around .090" thick from thread root to I.D., so strength
would not be too bad if the metal was good. I am glad I asked about the
galvanized, because of the answers that came back from you and Charlie Hill.
The guy with the hacksaw idea at least cured his problem for now.  I was
thinking about hard setting permatex, but had the same reservation about
next time.  Might as well get the QD out of there before it gets any older.
It doesn't look rusted at the thread right now.

Thanks again,

Charlie V.