[AT] Bad valve on an M

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Wed Mar 3 18:00:07 PST 2004

Dick,

The following is out of date but may give you some idea -
I took the head off of my Super H in the summer of 1999 and took it to a
local machine shop.  Charges as follows:

Hot Tank Head:              $30
Valve Job (labor):          $60
4 new Intake Valves:        $47
Install Replacement Guides: $16
Cost of Replacement Guides: $25
Surface Head:               $25
Cut in Seats                $20

I would think (but don't know for sure) that the cost for an H or M Head
overhaul would be comparable.
Of course, you may not need any new valves so you'd have a savings there.
I can't find the receipt for the Head Gasket but your' local Case/IH Dealer
could give you a price.
You didn't say whether or not you'd be removing the Head - if not, of
course, you'd need to add a labor charge to remove and install it.

These are Western Washington machine shop prices - prices in your' area
(I've forgotten what part of the country you're in) could, of course, be
significantly different.

I am sure others have had Head (tractor that is) overhauls more recent so
their input would be more relevant -

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington