[AT] Re: OT - Harbor Freight sliding miter saw update (2)

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Tue Mar 2 20:15:24 PST 2004

Here's the conclusion of my Harbor Freight miter saw saga.

The store exchanged my dead saw for a new one this morning.  No problems,
and they acted unsurprised, as though electrical faults in the tools they
sell happen all the time!  We plugged the replacement unit in right at the
store, to make sure it worked before I carried it out.

After generating some trial sawdust back home at my shop, the saw seems to
have plenty of power and the adjustment controls function easily
enough.  So I think you guys that ordered them will be fairly happy with
this saw, despite my original post of gloom!  You usually get what you pay
for and while this saw is definitely not the equivalent of a $550 Makita or
DeWalt, at 1/5th the price it seems like a workable tool.  My main gripe is
that the aluminum castings that make up the body housings seem very
thin.  Almost sheet-metal like in thickness.  One fall to the floor off a
workbench and I bet chunks would crack off.

Richard

Richard & Judy Walker
Monrovia, CA

richardwalker @ pobox.com