[AT] Names that have become generic

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Mar 31 23:36:24 PST 2004

Yep.  It was about as common as water.  It was a good old twin triode.
I think the lowest price it ever sold for was around 65 cents.  In the
90's, the price had jumped to nearly $15 each.  Now, you'd be lucky to
find them at any price.  Remember when really good power supplies had a
pair of rectifier tubes sticking up from the chassis?  They would glow
about as bright as a candle.  It took two so you could have full-wave DC
on the plate voltage.

Nowadays, it's all about LSI circuits and surface-mount technology.
Nobody builds anything with discrete components anymore.  If one of the
super-sonic welds breaks, you end up having to scrap the whole product.
That's the problem I've got with the interactive LCD display on my main
computer.  It's got one "cold solder joint" buried on the board
somewhere and as a result the video scan quit working.  Sony says
they'll fix it for me for $250 regardless of what's wrong with it.  If I
want to buy a replacement display, it'll be $3500.  This is for a
computer that cost less than $3000 when it was brand new and that I saw
being discarded into the River Liffey in downtown Dublin, Ireland, two
years ago.

Back on topic, Dad used to get bent out of shape when people called that
black box that sat on top of the generator a voltage regulator.
Everybody calls them that, but Dad said they do more to regulate the
current in the charging system rather than the voltage.  Otherwise, why
wouldn't you see a voltage readout rather than an amperage readout on
the dash?  Of course, now with alternators and idiot lights, who knows
what's being measured or controlled?

Larry