[AT] My "new" Allis Chalmers D-12 Series III

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 15:43:58 PST 2004

> Cecil, I have had a small flock (14) of Hungarian partridges around the yard
> most of the winter. I don't feed them but they seem to find something to eat
> around the yard. Those little birds can really scare a person when you
> surprise them and they take off in a flurry of thundering wings. That
> characteristic small engine sound that most partridge and grouse seem to
> make .
>
> Ralph in Sask

	Sorry for the delay, Ralph, but I just got back from what is likely
the south 40 to you. grins.  I was out in the Midwest goofing off for a few
days.

	You are lucky to have Hungarian partridge around your place, IMHO.
When I was out your way last I hunted sharptail grouse and heard there were
wild Huns out there but never saw any. They are the nicest little birds -
really chunky when you pick them up - sort of like picking up a softball.
And like you say, they take off with quite a racket and can really wake you
up. I took Lucille hunting Hungarian partridge about 15 years ago and told
her they are tough to knock down and to shoot em twice. ;-)  So, she did but
the dog still had to chase them a half mile. Tough little birds and good
eating too. If I were you, I would feed them something. If I remember right
they will eat the weed seeds you clean out of your grain - if you do any
cleaning on the farm, that is.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson