[AT] removing paint

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Mar 28 11:36:30 PST 2004

This past winter, I did that on an old Power King.  I used a pneumatic
needle scaler and am very pleased with the results.  It's not exactly a
passive paint removal technique, but I was able to do everything
regardless of shape or size.  Since the process is absolutely dry, and
since the residue that comes off is fairly large and going at a low
speed, the safety precautions that you need to observe are fairly simple
-- safety glasses/goggles, ear muffs, and a respirator if you feel
paranoid about air-borne material.  I cleaned the whole tractor frame
down to bare metal in around an hour and half.  The power of the needle
scaler is adjustable so you can prevent it from peening sheet metal
parts.  Much to my amazement, I discovered that the welding flux had not
been cleaned off this tractor when it was made back in 1947.  Several of
the welding "beads" were just slag and they completely disappeared in
the cleaning process.

I use the needle scaler for cleaning the bottom side of mower decks.
That tool will show up the existence and extent of stress cracks in a
mower deck faster and easier than any other method I've ever used.
Harbor Freight has a couple models to choose from.  I found a brand new
one in a pawn shop in Atlanta earlier this month, but I didn't buy it --
the shop owner wanted too much for it IMHO.  He was asking almost as
much as the price of a new one from HF.

BTW, Al, I'm starting to make plans for travel to the Hickory show in
mid-May.

Larry