[AT] Nice day

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Mar 26 18:54:25 PST 2004

	Our son was here after work yesterday and we walked down to look at the
tiny dam we had been doing a little work on. We got to talking and
walked on back to one tiny woods about a quarter mile east from the
house where there is another small pond. Looks like we may have a pair
of otters in it this year. We kicked up a pair of mallards when we
walked up. We were looking for deer antlers that may have been shed
there. He said that a fellow that he works with hunts them every night
and has close to a pickup load of them. We walked on back to the
Christmas tree plot about a quarter mile north of there to look there.
We walked on back in the general direction of the house and cut across
one field that was in soybeans last year. I said "well, well" and
reached down and picked up a perfect arrowhead in the dirt. My son is
always having a cow about how I can find arrowheads and he can't.  :-)
He turned the other way and said "I'm not even going to look at it".  :-)
	We don't find many here any more. Things have been searched pretty
heavy and the soil stirred pretty deep. Finding one always sets me to
thinking about those who lived here before us and what the land was like
in years past. This was a small game point about 1 1/2" long and about
1" wide at the back. Fairly thin and very nicely made. The fellow that
made it was very skilled at his craft. I'm not knowledgeable enough to
estimate its age nor which of the several peoples that lived in this
area over the centuries made it. It triggers thoughts of wonder about
how it came to be where I found it. The possibilities are endless.
Carried off by an injured game animal? Used to shoot at a fellow human?
Shot at a turkey and missed and lost? Carried by a child and dropped?
	While that field is gently rolling today an 1856 atlas showed a stream
crossing it indicated as having a running width in excess of 5 feet.
Prior to that this area was very heavily forested. I'll be thinking
about this for a few days...   :-)
--

"farmer"

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net