[AT] Massey 44?

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Mar 26 15:40:55 PST 2004

Grant Weir wrote:

> I've seen running MH 44's in alright shape sell from $600-$1000 CDN.
> Rarely higher even with nice paint and decals.  I think they are great
> tractors - I don't know why nobody seems too interested.  Perhaps it's
> time is coming yet...
>
> Grant Weir
> Saskatoon, SK.
> Canada

	Massey 44's sell for a good bit more than that here. Of course almost
all old tractors sell for more than that around here. There are always
exceptions and a few bargains but not a lot. You will notice that the
guys on the list that make tractor acquisition trips never mention
heading to Indiana to pick up cheap tractors, not even "just give it to
me" Cecil.   :-)
	Wide front Massey Harris tractors were virtually unseen here until
collectors and farmers started trucking them in. Especially so on the
wheatland type low wide fronts. This was true of all makes here, this is
row crop country. Those wheatland front axles only hit the fields at all
in the late 1950's and the 60's when farmers started buying extra
tractors. Those wheatlands were usually bought as cheap "disking
tractors". Prior to that an awfully lot of farms kept only one or two
tractors at the most. As a kid if you mentioned having a wide front
tractor everybody assumed that you had a Ford or Ferguson or at the very
least an adjustable row crop wide front.
	Corn was king in Indiana and the title of World Corn King was won by
one or the other Shelby County Indiana seedsman more times than anyplace
in the country. A deceased neighbor just over a mile east of here won it
6 times.
--

"farmer"

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net