[AT] B Allis (spark plugs)

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Wed Mar 24 12:46:31 PST 2004

Not exactly.  This is aircraft application again and I apologize for
that, however, I removed a set of Champions as they were getting worn
down and replaced them with the same Champion plug.  I had nothing but
trouble!  Pulled them out with under 100 hrs on them and put in a set of
new old military surplus plugs I had to get by while my order for
another set of new Champions came in.  Keep in mind that these things
are over 20 bucks apiece and I use 18 of them.  Some conversations with
some cropduster friends of mine revealed they had all had problems with
the Champion massive electrode sparkplugs and most had switched to
iridium plugs.  $42 each.  I talked with my supplier and he said he had
heard of no one having any trouble and suggested I install iridium
anyway and return the faulty plugs to Champion.  They would test them
and replace any faulty plugs.  I bought and installed the iridium plugs
which were fine.  I sent in the faulty plugs and never heard of them
again.  By the way, the threads on those plugs were funny too.  Very
hard to get started in the holes.  Champions are so far on the bottom of
my list of preferred plugs that you can hardly see them.  I do have to
run some Champions in another aircraft engine as they are the only
manufacturer currently making new plugs for that particular engine.  30
bucks apiece.  12 in that engine.

At least most of my John Deeres only use two sparkplugs per engine.
They all have Autolite in them.  My Willys still have Champion J8 plugs
in most of them, but I no longer have those on the shelf, so when they
get replaced they will be replaced with a different brand, I suppose.  I
usually think the problems are related to fuel, carburation, ignition
system health, etc.  And I believe that is usually the case.  But when
you pull out plugs and replace them as a matter of routine maintenance
and things immediately go haywire with nothing else changed, it has to
be the fault of the plug as far as I can tell.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA