[AT] Rationale for firing orders

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 22 23:19:04 PST 2004

"Larry D. Goss" wrote:

> That configuration scares me just thinking about it.  I had the
> crankshaft in a Continental N62 engine break while it was running
> (AC-G).  I'd hate to think what it would have been like if the engine
> had been designed like you are suggesting.
>
> Larry

All the early V8s had a 4 cylinder type crank (single plane), the
Viking V8 in pre-1920 Oldsmobiles, even had only 2 main bearings!

The early, 1960s, Coventry Climax F1 V8s also had a single plane
crank, easily distinguished by the straight pipes rather than
the later collector system.

Down here it's common for speedway racers to convert twin cylinder
mc engines cranks & cams to have both cylinders fire together to get
better bite of the track.

Tom