[AT] #3 Power Block

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Mar 23 18:35:38 PST 2004

In one of my weaker moments, on my recent trip, I picked up a 6" #3 Power
Block ( for late JD A's or early 60's, including aluminum Pistons and rods.
I know less than I should know about Power Blocks. I don't totally yet know
the real condition of this block, the sleeves or the pistons as the pistons
are stuck in the cylinders. I am gambling I can do something with this thing
and still come out ok. It may be a foolish experiment but we only live once.
I asked several people at the GOG about this before I bought it and learned
a little about Power Blocks. I'm looking for anyone on the list who has any
experience messing with these things who might educate me a bit more. I have
learned that new sleeves are not available and if new ones are needed they
have to be custom made and are very expensive. I also was told that I might
be able to bore the current sleeves by 1/8", if necessary, and then use G
Pistons which are 6 1/8". But G pistons don't have the tapered top outside
edge that a Power Block Piston has. At least not the G pistons I have seen
so far.

Anyone out there willing to educate this, maybe foolish, gambler on Power
Blocks? BTW, the block itself looks real good. Wish I could say the same
about the sleeves!  :-)

This could be a fun kind of experience or maybe a really expensive lesson!
:-) I think I purchased this at a low enough cost so I can afford to do some
fixing. But I sure don't know what is necessary yet.

I'm lost in the wilderness of Power Blocks!

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

CRS = Having a Photographic Memory but a shortage of unused film.

www.deerelegacy.com