[AT] B Allis (spark plugs)

Larry & Barb Dotson dotson at loganrec.com
Tue Mar 23 14:06:33 PST 2004

Ralph,
I agree with you about the spark plugs. Most of the difficulty is not
using the proper heat range
for the application. Any manufacturer can produce good reliable plugs if
the customer can chose
the correct heat range for his application. I have spent about 35 years
building engines and drag
racing. I have had to get familiar with the heat range chart for most
manufactures. I have used too
hot of a plug and one pass on the drag strip will let you know where you
were wrong. We used
a special flash light with a magnifying lens to evaluate what is
happening. Many experts can tell if
you have too little or too much timing or fuel. Most of the reports of
bad plugs come from
customers that have never seen a heat range chart or ever looked at a
plug up close. The general
application charts are close but often need adjusted depending on the
actual running conditions.
Tractors will typically use a slightly colder plug because it may
operate at full throttle much of the
time and will generate enough heat to properly run a colder heat range.
Once we restore our old
tractors and begin to just parade them around or drive on and off the
trailer and park at the show,
we need to adjust the heat range up one or more likely two heat ranges.
I would bet that 90 % of
the people reading this have had to clean up some dark plugs that when
cleaned will work for a
while. A hotter plug may last 10 years with the way we use them and not
cause any problems.
I have traveled 175 to 179 mph in a quarter mile using the Champion and
autolite plug with no
problems. ( Many 6,000 horse power top fuel dragsters run NGK or
Champion with good results
as well)

Larry Dotson