[AT] Rationale for firing orders

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Mar 22 17:20:49 PST 2004

Dudley does a good job of describing what's going on in the engine, Rog.
When it comes to 1-2-4-3 vs. 1-3-4-2 firing order, I remember being told
by the professor in the Internal Combustion Engine course that used to
be part of the mechanical engineering curriculum at Purdue, that
designers tried to even out the stresses in the crank and camshaft by
spacing the firing along the line of cylinders as far apart as possible.
The firing order probably doesn't make much difference on an in-line
four, but it does make a difference when you get into 6-, 8-, and larger
engines.

This information and 50 cents will buy you a cup of senior coffee at
your local McDonalds.  :-)

Larry