[AT] Rationale for firing orders

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Mon Mar 22 14:18:42 PST 2004

Dean,

You're correct for a while, but then there are the other two strokes when
nothing useful happens.  The magneto firing when there's nothing to light
isn't really helpful.  :-)  Then there's the issue of the goofy non-red
color... :-(

My John Deere is even firing, but on the other hand, it only has one
cylinder.  The magneto also fires every revolution, but like the bigger
ones, half of the impulses are wasted.  The one I no longer have (yellow)
was also even firing... but it had 3 cylinders!

Just listen when a two cylinder is at slow idle...
plunk-a-plunk-nothin'-nothin'.  :-)

It's been more than 60 years since I first drove one and thought I was a
hero.  Many years later I figured out what was going on.  Too bad they
didn't build the whole engine.

George Willer