[AT] Rationale for firing orders

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Mar 22 10:27:53 PST 2004

It is because of the phasing of the lobes on the crank shaft (remember we
are talking about 4 stroke engines usually), the balance of the engine and
the sequence the intake and exhaust bursts need to be in to flow smoothly.
1,2,4 3 seems awkward when you read it that way but it is actually firing
every other cyl. in order.  If you started with 2 instead of 1 it would be
2,4,3,1.  When you think about it that is in order.  On your Allis engine,
if I remember right,  the crank is all in one plane.  I mean 2 crank lobes
are up and two are down.

Remember that you have a power, exhaust, intake and compresion stroke for
each time a cyl. fires.

Charlie