[AT] John Deere 40

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Mar 19 04:48:25 PST 2004

> I am going to look at a JD 40 that has been sitting for a while.  What

should I look for in this tractor as far as poblem areas?  It is a 1953

model tricycle front end.  Thanks, Ricky

	Back around 1990, I bought a JD 40-S (standard) that had been
sitting for 20 years in a barn with a paint can upended over the exhaust
pipe. The only thing wrong with it was someone used a 12 volt battery
to try to start it and blew all the light bulbs. Some seals had dried
out and leaked a little - and still do - a little. These were the main
axle seals in the back. Other than that, the only thing that has ever
shown up was a sort of howl in the hydraulic pump when it is cold. I
did have to replace the battery holder as they had left the battery in
it and the acid had eaten the old base. I still have mine and it is my
standby when nothing else works around here. It has to be one of the
nicest and most nimble of all the antique tractors for general use
around anyone's place.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson