[AT] new computer help request-Autocad

WF Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Thu Mar 18 18:14:53 PST 2004

Bruce,
I believe it will work very well under Win 98, but not in a newer operating
system than that. I used the version you say you have for several years. I
really liked it's ease of use, as it was the first windows based Autocad
used. I started "CADing" with Autocad 2.62 on a 386 with a math coprocessor.
I think that system cost my boss almost $10,000.00 We added a "Nth Engine"
graphics card w/ a whopping 1MB of memory. I'd get into the office first in
the morning, crank up the computer, launch autocad and my drawing file then
go make a pot of coffee. I might even review shop drawings for a while.
Eventually I'd get back to my desk and the drawing would be "regenerated".
The ritual before going to lunch would be "save", "regen", "all". By the
time I got back the drawing would be reloaded. I learned my way around DOS
on that machine and wrote some pretty cool batch programs to get things
going

Anyway, the version you have is VERY clunky as far as selecting areas to
hatch and has no 3D capabilities. I think they crippled it to sell as
"Autocad Lite", or "LT". It will work fine as a your introduction to CAD. I
have no experience with any of the other CAD programs, though I'm told there
are a lot available, a lot cheaper. I struggled with Autocad for so long
that I can't throw that investment of time away! I'm using Autocad 2000 now.
It's 3D and rendering capabilities are amazing. For producing plain old
"working drawings" of a building or simple object it would be hard to beat
your version of Autocad LT.

Warren
---