[AT] A/C Square Balers

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 17 06:58:03 PST 2004

I've heard of 303's and 404's but don't know anything about a 442. Had
a friend of dad's that bought a 303 from a estate sale of an old
retired AC dearler. He used it a few years and then parked it.

I broke something on my IH 46 and needed to get the rest of my oat
straw baled. Brice Adams of this list had some IH baler parts he got to
me to fix it, but was going to be a while before they arrived. Anyway I
called this friend of dad's and he said come and get it (you have to
know this guy). It was buried in horse weeds next to where the old barn
fell. Anyway, you can imagine what a baler sitting out looks like.

The 303 I borrowed has the same knotter that the New Holland 66 (or
68?) had sitting in my junk pile. I needed to rob the twine holder
spring off of it to put on the AC. Even after sitting out that thing
baled without a hitch once I fixed the twine holder.

Around here it's hard to find an AC dealer. I'm guessing parts might be
tough unless you're good at fabricating your own. If they were cheap
enough I'd go for it (cause I'm cheap (-;  ). But if you do a lot of
baling and time is of the essence you might want to stick with New
Holland or something that parts are much quicker and easier to come by.

Brad