[AT] Broadcast/frost seeding clover?

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 16:53:43 PST 2004

I am looking for input from anyone who has seeded clover and trefoil with a
broadcast spreader.  Or any other seed type for that matter.  It is the time
of year here to better my pasture land by establishing some legumes by frost
seeding.  I have a new broadcast spreader (Agrex 150) that is 3 point
mounted and am interested in any practical information someone might have
about settings, spacing, PTO speed and travel speed.

I have decided that the best time to do it would be with a few inches of
snow or frost remaining, so it would be easy to see tracks and maintain
spacing.  It would probably be best to do it in a dead calm, but spring's
arrival  might not let me wait for a perfect day.  I will inoculate the
trefoil and then mix it with the clovers so a good mix is created.  I don't
know what will really work on my land so I bought 10 pounds of medium red,
10 of Alside and 5 of Ladino Clover as well as 10 Lbs of birdsfoot Trefoil.
I know that by the time its done, I will have a lot of the answers, but it
would be good to hear from someone who has already done it at least once.

Any and all comments at all are appreciated.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116