[AT] ISP/ ramble

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 17:41:06 PST 2004

Guys,     and Gals,

I use DSL form my isp that works thru a lan unit to the phone line. The isp
supplied all equipment at no charge, and it was a do it yourself
installation.  It is offered at two speed levels for two prices.  I have
what I refer to as the low speed DSL and the cost is $26.75 / month
The high speed DSL offered is around $39.95 /month and is said to be equal
to broadband speed or higher. As I recall, my low speed is 10 times faster
than modem dial up.  It can take up to 3/4 or 1 minute to send an e mail
with a 1.6 mb photo attached and will bring it in a little faster. I look at
it as a fair value, because one phone line is shared between phone and
internet at the same time.  That saves the $15 or so that a second line
would cost if I was on dial up. The other advantage is that as with
broadband, the DSL is always on and ready to go 24-7.  I just wake up the PC
and click an icon on the task bar, and there ya all are. I was spoiled in
the first 15 minutes of use, and would not want to go back to the dial up I
started with.  Frontier usually offers the high speed at $29.00 / month for
the first 6 or 12 months.  I don't try it, knowing that at the end of the
reduced rate period I would be spoiled by that and would not want to come
back to this speed.  The normal high speed price is pretty rich for my
budget, without a business use for it.

The strange part of this is, this is running thru phone wire that was
probably installed in 1917 or shortly thereafter when this house was built.
It is a two single wire system with a red fuse about 5" lengh on one wire
and a black one of the same size on the other wire. These are mounted on a
white porcelain base. That is not to mention my homemade splitter board that
breaks one in line to about 10 out lines. Works just fine. I know this
system is old because the man who built the house worked for the phone
company at the time so it may have been the first in the neighborhood.

On a tractor note, this internet service cannot compete with Cecils latest
D-12 deal, but I have been pretty pleased with it.

Charlie V. in windy WNY.