[AT] Super M

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Fri Mar 12 23:48:10 PST 2004

By chance does anyone know/remember which way you turn the water pump
packing Nut/Gland on the Farmall M water pump in order to back it off the
pump?
I've removed the pump from the tractor and the fan from the pump.  According
to the Service Manual the next step in the disassembly is to remove this
packing Nut/Gland which is approximately 1.25" in diamater (it is circular
and not a hexagon as a nut would be and the top side looks similar to a
castle nut).  Unfortunately, however, the Manual doesn't say anything about
the threads.  I was in the local Case-IH dealer today picking up a seal,
packing and gaskets and a couple of the guys there (a parts guy and a
mechanic) thought the pump might have reverse threads but it had been too
long since they had worked on one so they weren't sure.  I had put alot of
CCW torque on the nut/gland with no success - of course I may have only been
tightening it.
Thanks for any input -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington