[AT] OK boys, I need help!! OT Computer stuff

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Mar 12 09:42:43 PST 2004

David A. Laughead Jr. wrote:
> Gee guys, I only have a 3 gig HD, and when I checked last night I was only
> useing 730 meg of that. Up until about 3 months ago I had win98se running on
> a pc with a compressed 200 meg drive.(something happened to the motherboard
> or video card, not sure which might doo more testing with that this weekend)
> Ok so I am a lil out dated
>
> As for XP.... I from what I have used it, I hate it. Gives me a headache
> just trying to look at it.
> Just had a guy 3 days ago have me get rid of his XP and put on 98se
>
> I have been running 98se for a few yrs now and it has been rock solid.
> Yep, gotta have that DOS ability for me
>

> Dave Laughead

	I too find windows 98 SE to be entirely satisfactory for my purposes.
Of course I don't do a lot of elaborate stuff. Most of my use is email,
surfing and genealogy research. I sometimes go for a couple of weeks
without rebooting, most of my reboots are from adding or changing
software. I am always looking at stuff and trying it out. This week I
changed over to Mozilla in place of IE and Outlook. I just did that for
the spam control capabilities since I want to get off of my ISP's
system. It is taking a lot of tinkering to get everything set the way I
like it but that just makes for good brain exercise.
	Like most people I would love to buy a new state of the art system but
just like the way I farm, my priorities just won't allow me to do it. I
look at the money involved and think "Hey, with that much money I could
buy another old project tractor"...   :-)
	While I don't buy and sell used computers anymore (no money in them) I
still get one in now and then to reconfigure for some family member or
friend. Never tell anyone that you can do that...  ;-)   I'm not good
enough to do it on the spot but if I have it a few days to putter with I
can get them all sorted out. I usually find them a real mess. There too
many things out there making changes and too many people not doing the
basics like disk clean-up, defragging, registry cleaning or running
something Like Spybot Search and Destroy/AdAware.
	There a lot of really good sites out there that can guide most folks
through computer problems and get a sluggish system back up to speed and
many times make it a little faster than the original setup. There are
also a lot of good tweaking programs now that can guide you through in
reasonable safety.
	I keep 3 desktops and a laptop running on a LAN (local area network)
all sharing one internet connection and that really helps me in the
genealogy work. I can run any program that is installed on any of the
computers from any of the other computers. I have two desktops on one
desk and one on the other. I like to prowl the web on one while having
Legacy Family Tree up on another. I have two keyboards mounted one above
the other kind of like an organ and I can enter stuff and save notes and
pictures and stuff as I find them. No switching back and forth. I rarely
use the third desktop but Diana can sit down and do email anytime or
look something up on the web while I have the other two tied up. She and
my grandson play games on it a lot too. I like to keep the family tree
files and my writing stuff current on the laptop. I often take it along
when I am wandering about in cemeteries. Sometimes if I get in a writing
mood in nice weather I toss it in a vehicle and drive back up on the
high hill in the back field and park where I can look out over the
neighborhood. No ringing phones, no TV, nobody asking me questions etc.
Just me and the wind and sometimes a red tail hawk.

Here is one help site, click on "How to".
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/index.html

Another:
http://www.pcguide.com/topic.html

This one is a Windows 98 clean install page, large site:
http://www.hexff.com/win98_install.php

One more:
http://www.annoyances.org/

	There are literally hundreds of sites like these.

	Speaking of converting to Mozilla... I find it absolutely amazing that
one of the very first words that you have to add to most spell checkers
is "internet"...   :-)

farmer
	Keep our friends in Spain in your thoughts...