[AT] WD 45

Rob Wilson rowilson at infinet.com
Thu Mar 11 20:37:04 PST 2004

Yep you got it right. This is a VERY common problem with the WD series
of tractors. Believe me I have learned a great deal about these things
during
this restoration. The only time you would ever have troubles with the
3rd gear and the hydraulics is when you actually put the tractor to use.
In a parade or show you would never know there was a problem. This
is why a lot of guys with restored WD and WD45s won't bring them to
plow days since they know that it will or might have these issues. If you
plan on using it plan on trying it out before buying it. On a separate
topic a friend of mine with a WD45 Diesel is finding out the hard way
how true "caveat emptor" is. He purchased a very nice original WD45D
and brought it home and played with it for a bit. Plowing and showing it.
It's in good shape and has most of it's paint and looks decent cleaned up.
Just the way he likes them. Well he was having a little lack of power
problem and it running rough. He ended up pulling the head to see
what was wrong and found out. Someone had stick welded the head
cracks and milled the crap out of it and made it totally useless to rebuild.
My buddy Duke that is working on it told him to pull the pistons and
liners to see the rest of the problems. Reluctantly he did and Duke
was right the block was also junk. I haven't talked with him yet but
I'm sure he's not feeling to great about now knowing he's going to have
to hunt down and good Buda for it to even make it a tractor again. :(

Rob

Rob