[AT] FW: E-mail

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 19:36:02 PST 2004

Hi Farmer,
Yes, I am getting hostile emails as well. Usually when I get a hostile
email it is because I was "talking" when I should have been "listening".
I would suspect that some spammer has found the "announce" email address
in the archives and is using it to spoof spam emails. The way I understand
it is that the spammers send out their spam using a return address that is
not their own, in this case it is the "announce" address. when people
receive this spam, it ticks them off and they fire back a hostile reply
and since it is addressed to the "announce" address, everyone on the list
or who has even been on the lists gets it.
The problem is further compounded when one of us gets ticked and replies
to the reply, because it once again goes to the "announce" address and
everyone who is now on the lists or has ever been on the lists gets the
email.
That is my theory anyway. Maybe I am full of crap, it certainly wouldn't
be the first time and unfortunately won't be the last!
I haven't been by the puter too much, I have to write some replies to the
folks who answered my questions and ask a few more, maybe in a day or two
when the weather turns crappy again.
Joe
--- Robinson <robinson at svs.net> wrote:
>     Anybody else getting hostile emails with ATIS-announce in the "to"
> line?
> This is about the third one I've gotten this evening.
>

> "farmer"

=====
Joe Prindle
Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA