[AT] Was Misc Now valves

Guy Fay fayguyma at execpc.com
Wed Mar 10 13:55:00 PST 2004

One thing you might want to try is heating the valve, and putting a
little heat into the head as well (evenly). Then hitting the valve
itself with penetrating oil like PB Blaster. The heat will get the oil
down the stem- it'll be pretty much boiling by then. Doing this with a
cylinder heat might not be such a great idea, but it's worked in other
areas. PB hasn't flashed on me yet- it just smokes. The cool of the
fluid on the valve stem will contract it, helping the fluid go down
and breaking the rust bond. Again, cylinder heads, because of the
precision involved and tendency for cracking, might not be the best
subject for this, but if worse comes to worse. I use a fairly small
propane torch, and I've heard heat lamps being used with blaster to
good effect as well.

> Consensus seems to be:  Heat first, electrolysis next.  Thanks for
all the help, but guess what?

> Went home today for lunch and perform the semi-daily valve train
penetrant soaking.   As usual, I tried one of the valves with a wedge
just for fun.  It gave!  I am not sure why 4 days of soaking in
penetrant works better than 3, but it does.  Or maybe, sometimes it
just helps to talk about it (-;

> Out of the 8 valves, two came out right away last weekend(the two
open valves), 4 budged today at lunch - at least enough to get a
puller/splitter under the valve head.  Two are still stuck tight
(cylinder 4).  Of the two remaining valves, one of the tappet
adjusting bolts was not turing - it was stuck too but I did get that
broke lose at lunch.  Because that was stuck I couldn;t get a wedge
between the valve stem and tappet adjusting bolt.

> If the last two valves don't give tonight or tomorrow after 5 full
days of thrice daily soaking, I will try heat as suggested.  The heat
I never really thought about but I will try.  I just always assumed
the stem would heat and expand faster than the guide and just wedge it
in tighter.

> I hope I don't have to resort to electrolysis.   Thanks again for
everyone help, I sure do appreciate it.

> Spencer

CoreComm Webmail.
http://home.core.com