[AT] Was Misc Now valves

Spencer Yost Spencer.Yost at piedmontsystems.com
Wed Mar 10 12:39:15 PST 2004

Consensus seems to be:  Heat first, electrolysis next.  Thanks for all the help, but guess what?

Went home today for lunch and perform the semi-daily valve train penetrant soaking.   As usual, I tried one of the valves with a wedge just for fun.  It gave!  I am not sure why 4 days of soaking in penetrant works better than 3, but it does.  Or maybe, sometimes it just helps to talk about it (-;

Out of the 8 valves, two came out right away last weekend(the two open valves), 4 budged today at lunch - at least enough to get a puller/splitter under the valve head.  Two are still stuck tight (cylinder 4).  Of the two remaining valves, one of the tappet adjusting bolts was not turing - it was stuck too but I did get that broke lose at lunch.  Because that was stuck I couldn;t get a wedge between the valve stem and tappet adjusting bolt.

If the last two valves don't give tonight or tomorrow after 5 full days of thrice daily soaking, I will try heat as suggested.  The heat I never really thought about but I will try.  I just always assumed the stem would heat and expand faster than the guide and just wedge it in tighter.

I hope I don't have to resort to electrolysis.   Thanks again for everyone help, I sure do appreciate it.

Spencer