[AT] Small Farm Tractors vs Garden Tractors

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Tue Mar 9 23:36:02 PST 2004

Ralph,
I think torque would probably be a better indicator of the energy/strength
of these old low rpm tractors.  I looked up the Nebraska Test (which is No.
130) on the McCormick 15-30; it shows that at 1050 rpm it developed 34.9
PTO/Belt hp and 26.7 db hp.  At 1k rpm that seems like quite a bit of hp (to
me).  The Ferguson TO35, for example, develops roughly the same PTO/Belt hp
but needs twice the rpm to do it.  If you could get the 15-30 to turn 2k rpm
that would be roughly 70 hp - now that does seem impressive to me.  If a guy
were stuck in the mud with a heavy load I am sure he'd rather see you show
up with your 15-30 than he would me with my TO35 (assuming both tractors had
the traction to handle the torgue).  On the other hand if both tractors had
properly sized bush hogs on back the TO35 could probably mow as much in a
day as could the 15-30.
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington