[AT] Super Dexta PTO Clutch??

Reise David G NPRI ReiseDG at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Tue Mar 9 10:48:41 PST 2004

Subject: RE: PTO Clutch??

If after adjusting it per the manual and it still does not work it may be that the Main Drive Clutch is so worn that it is impossible to properly adjust the PTO clutch. This can happen if the PTO clutch is never slipped as when starting a baler or a mower etc. Ths PTO clutch disks never wear and remain almost "new" while the Main clutch wears. I have heard you can try to wear the PTO clutch down by loading the PTO and slipping it but I think that would heat things up and ruin it, Mine was almost the same way when I got it as the PTO was never slipped. I was able to play with the adjustment so it just barely releases, I now go out of my way to slip it when starting the mower or other inertia type impliment. Let me know what you find out.... it took a coulple of hours to play with the adjustment so mine barely worked. Good Luck      Dave Reise Portsmouth Rhode Island

Subject: PTO Clutch??

I have a Fordson Dexta, and I don't know how similarly it works to the
various Fords and Fegusons it sounds like most folks on the list have.
But I'm finally having a spooky mechanical problem, and I'm wondering
where to start looking or how catastrophic it might be.

The clutch is of the sort where it works in two stages: pushing the
pedal a certain distance disengages the drive wheels, and pushing it
all the way disengages the PTO and hydraulic pump. Recently, all at
once, it started to make gear-crashing noises when I try to engage the
PTO lever -- just as if I didn't have the clutch uncoupled. It still
seems to stop the hydraulics, though. I've taken to warming the tractor
up, shutting it off, and then engaging the PTO with it not running and
starting up again with it already engaged.

Any suggestions? Anything short of a worn-out PTO clutch (I'm assuming
there's a whole separate clutch in there somewhere)? I only have to get
through a couple more snow-blowings, hopefully, and then when it's warm
outside I can start poking around or driving it a few miles to the
repair shop.