[AT] Small Farm Tractors vs Garden Tractors

Tim Bivens bivenshill at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 07:43:22 PST 2004

Farmer,
You are absolutely right about that. I guess I am just
more used to using the drawbar horsepower since that
is what we use at our shows to put tractors into
classes for antique tractor pulling. We use the
Nebraska tests as a guide for this. The belt
horsepower is usually slightly higher than the drawbar
horsepower which is probably why the belt horsepower
is used in advertising. Anyway that still brings me
back to my original point which is that the small
garden tractors are not rated by drawbar or belt
horsepower but by SAE or BRAKE engine horsepower which
make them appear to have a whole lot of horsepower
when compared to agricultural tractors but such is not
the case. I do not have my Nebraska test book at hand
but I would think that the engine horsepower on some
of these farm tractors is probably twice what the
rated drawbar horsepower is. I think the VAC Case is
rated at about 15 drawbar horsepower and about 20
belt. I would think that the engine SAE horsepower
would be around 30. I may be a little off on some of
these figures since I don't have my book at hand.
Tim Bivens
Glen Rose, Tex.

mailto:budget_muzzleloading-subscribe at yahoogroups.com