[AT] How about Tractors. (long)

Grant Weir grantweird at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:21:20 PST 2004

>     Does anyone else share my feelings?????
>
>                                      Gene Dotson,  DeGraff,

I share your feelings Gene.  While I enjoy "some" O.T. subject matter, I'm
here for the tractor talk with my tractor buddies.

I do have some tractor news to talk about, but I have to warn you - there
are no pictures of womens boobs hanging out to stimulate conversation (or
whatever else...) so you'll just have to fill in those blanks yourselves.
Ha ha!

I must admit though that she did look pretty good for being over 100 years
old!  :-)   All kidding aside, I give a big thanks to Guy for sharing so
many super cool pictures with us.   Good stuff!

Anyway...

I put my John Deere D on hold for this winter while I work on building my
Wallis "Rat" tractor.   In the fall of last year I bought a pile of scrap
metal that the seller called "Three Wallis tractors" and have been busy
trying to put just one together from the whole lot ever since.  What a
puzzle!  I'm using the engine block from one, the crankshaft from another
and pistons & cylinders from all three.   One tractor had a mostly complete
U-frame chassis with all four wheels so it will be the one that gets the
rebuilt engine and tranny - when the ground thaws enough to get my trailer
out.  :-)

I made a decision early on in the project that I would not be painting this
tractor, but instead will try to put it all together into a nice running
tractor that still looks old and rusty.  It has been quite a challenge!
When I take something right apart it is very hard for me to NOT clean and
paint it before puting it back on.  :-)  Also, it is quite difficult to
assemble an old machine without using shiny new nuts & bolts - lots of extra
work!  I don't know if I'm doing the right thing with this machine but my
heart says "yes" so I guess that's good enough.  I keep seeing a picture in
my head of me and my rusty/trusty Wallis running wide open at the business
end of the sled at one of our local pulls.  Yeah!

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what I'm up to.  I took these
the day after I stripped the tractors down into parts so there's not too
much to see but it should give you an idea of the "challenge factor" that
I'm up against:
http://groups.msn.com/MyWallis/newarrivals.msnw?albumlist=2

I have lots and lots of Wallis parts around now, so if anyone needs anything
just drop me a line and we'll work something out.  I'm pretty easy to deal
with.  Heck, I'll probably just give the stuff to you!

My D is still in my garage and still in pieces waiting for a cylinder sleeve
job.  I've got the sleeves and rings too (thanks Joe!) but am waiting for
just the right time to do it - like maybe tomorrow or the next day.  heh
heh!  See the link below for some shots of the old D:

http://groups.msn.com/GrantsOldTractorGoodies/somejohndeerepictures.msnw?albumlist=2

Spring is coming fella's - let's go tractoring!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada