[AT] Massey Harris #1 & Challenger

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 23:27:37 PST 2004

I am actually an engine collector, but have two Massey-Harris tractors
that have been in the family since they were new. One is a MH #1, built by
Parrett in the teens, and the other is a Challenger, built in 1936. I dug
the #1 out last week and got it running again, didn't take too much, clean
the points in the mag, blow out the fuel line and oil it up. The
Challenger is another story. I last ran it in 1992, and the Bosch U-4 mag
on it died. I am looking to send the mag off for a rebuild, but want to
find a good mag guy to do the work. I had it rebuilt by Branson in 1990
and it didn't last long. He charged me a couple hundred bucks and all he
did was repair the coil, even though I paid for a total rebuild, including
a new coil. I am not at all pleased with the work they did and would junk
the tractor before giving them any more of my money. After all these
years, it still really ticks me off.
The other problem with the Challenger is the water pump is worn out and
leaking badly. I suppose I can repair it myself if I have to, but would
rather pay to have it done by someone who is a professional. Can anyone
recommend a place to get it done?
I am looking forward to getting both tractors in good running order, but
will not repaint them any time in the near future. THe #1 has too much
good original paint to mess with and the Challenger was repainted in 1967
by a cousin who was in FFA at the time, he didn't use the right shade of
green, but I don't want to have the time to do it right, so I will just
leave it as it is for now.
Many Thanks,
Joe Prindle
Wisconsin Rapids, WI