[AT] Small Farm Tractors vs Garden Tractors

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 18:33:19 PST 2004

--- Doug Tallman <dtallman at accnorwalk.com> wrote:
> question that I get asked a lot is what is
> considered a garden tractor and
> where do we draw the line between them and a small
> farm tractor.

My opinion on today's tractors is different from the
old machines.  Used to use much smaller equipment in
the first part of the last century than now.  What was
a small farm tractor then probably won't be considered
a large lawn mower now. :-)

>  Most of the big, early walk-behind machines were
> geared towards the same
> thing. After all, you had to walk behind the horse
> or ride on the
> implement.

An elderly gentleman fruit farmer told me (many years
ago) how he bought his first tractor when he got
married.  Felt he had to 'modernize' and quit using
horses.  He went and bought a 1938 Sears Handiman
walking tractor, 4hp, 900# shipping weight and
steering brakes, a real man-killer.  I know cause I
have one.  He said that he regretted that choice for
years.  Pre-dawn 'til dark everyday, and he was a
rather small person.  That tractor worked the tar
right out of him.  Years later he finally saved up
enough to purchase a Farmall A with vacuum lift. Never
regretted THAT tractor, used it right up until he
retired.
BTW, that was the first tractor I ever rode on,
sitting on my father's lap, what a thrill!  Will never
forget the feelings, smells, or any of it.
Back to the topic, a Cub, (or any like sized tractor)
IS a farm tractor, and IMHO, a lot of the Yuppie sized
tractors (up to 20 or so H.P. I guess) now sold ARE
NOT farm tractors.
Please don't take this as saying these new tractors
are not good equipment, just my bias towards the good
ole days of "real men & their machines" <VBG>

Dave Myers
Paw Paw, Michigan