[AT] Farmall 350/300 More Questions

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Sun Mar 7 06:41:42 PST 2004

This is a very simplified explanation but maybe it'll make sense: on the
older TA's (560 and earlier) when you pull the lever back, it disengages
the TA clutch--just a smaller clutch on the front of the TA unit itself
and behind the main engine clutch.  This causes the planet gear carriers
to be allowed to rotate and thus give gear reduction.  The one-way
clutch inside the TA, (ramp and rollers) prevent it from "free wheeling"
when power is going through it.  However the design of this ramp and
rollers is why the TA will free-wheel in when the TA is engaged if you
go down a hill.

The TA is designed so that when adjusted right and you press in the
clutch pedal, it actually disengages the main clutch and the TA clutch.
If it didn't disengage the TA clutch, you wouldn't be able to shift
gears, it would want to hang in gear.  Adjusting by the book usually is
the answer here, but if the linkages get any wear on them (as is the
case with my 450) the trick I was told to do was adjust by the book,
then drive tractor up a slight incline and press in clutch just enough
to stop forward motion.  If the TA is adjusted right, the tractor will
sit still on the hill and if you then press clutch all the way in, it
will roll back. If it does not do this, shorten the short linkage
between main and TA clutch until it will roll back.....

Al