[AT] How about Tractors.

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 15:58:27 PST 2004

When I think back at what a Farmall H will pull uphill in first gear and
short chained to the stone boat - it not only impresses me 35 years later,
but also scares me to think how light it was on the front in those
situations.  An H is a beast, it was our only power for the first 6 or 7
years on the farm.  I was about 10, when my dad bought a used JD-60 at
auction.  It could do a lot more, but never got the hours of use the H did,
it just seemed the H was more convenient and maneuverable.  The 60 tended to
do the plowing, dragging, baling and rotary scythe - hardly anything else.
The 60 was replaced with a D-17 that seemed to do everything the 60 did and
a whole lot more other chores.  It could take manure because it was low
enough to get into the cowbarn, snow blowing became its job and we upped our
oats and hay acreage by about 40 when the D-17 was present.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116