[AT] Bad valve on an M

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Mar 4 07:11:17 PST 2004

Dick hold a one dollar bill or similar piece of strong paper over the top of
the exhaust stack while the tractor runs idle.  If it trys to suck the bill
down the stack on a regular interval you likely have a bad or stuck exhaust
valve.  Before you tear into it try something like marvel mystery oil.   Run
the tractor at high idle and trickle some of the oil into the air intake
until the engine trys to load up.  Repeat a couple of times.  Then take the
tractor out and put a heavy load on the engine for a while.  If it doesn't
free up you might have to tear it down.  If you do tear it down check the
valve springs and other obvious stuff under the valve cover before you pull
the head off.

If it is a bad valve it is not a bad repair.  Just pull the head and take it
to a local machine shop.  A valve job around here is still fairly
inexpensive.   All you will need after that is to get a new gasket set and
put it back together.

Charlie