[AT] Beilers Pictures now with link!!

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Mar 1 06:48:43 PST 2004

Hi Cecil,

Look in the left foreground of frame #7.  It is a picture of a threashing
machine but you can see part of the stones.

Interesting that one would go to so much trouble and expense for scalding a
hog.  We used a vat about 6 feet long by 4 feet wide by 1 foot deep made of
galvanized sheet metal ( maybe 16 ga).  It was just a flat bottomed rig that
was supported on steel rods, angle iron, bricks, whatever about 6 inches off
the ground.  We filled it about 3 inches deep with water and put oak or
hickory coals under the pan.  For rendering lard or cooking hog killing stew
( made with anything we didn't want to salt or smoke or freeze) we just used
big cast iron pots over wood coals.

Charlie