[Steam-engine] Gauge tools

Bruce & Marlene Babcock babcock2 at gte.net
Tue Jun 29 15:32:02 PDT 2004

Andy,

    The easiest way to get a handjack is to order one from McMaster-Carr
Supply.  Phone (330) 995-5500.  Their part number is 4036K1. The price was
$25.74 in their catalog 108 from 2002.  However, this handjack is designed
for modern gauges with small diameter hand shafts.   I have one of these but
don't recommend it for use on old gauges with the larger shafts because the
pin is so small I am concerned it would bend before the hand would come
loose.  (Sometimes this is a concern even when using an old, heavy-duty hand
jack.)

    You might want to purchase a McMaster handjack and make a new jack screw
with a larger diameter pin at the end that contacts the hand shaft.  I am
sure this would be strong enough for your old gauge.

    I have talked to several individuals who have simply made their own
handjacks and who seem well satisfied.

    Another option is eBay.  I bought one there but they don't appear very
often.

    Also, many gauge testers come equipped with handjacks.

    An accessory that comes with a handjack is a hollow-ended punch that is
used to gently tap the hand back onto the gauge without striking the shaft.

    If you are not familiar with handjacks let me know and I will email you
some sketches with dimensions.   There are several configurations.   Give me
a few days, I have not yet unpacked everything I took to Wauseon.

    I hope this is of some help.

Bruce E. Babcock