[AT] Re: Off topic but greatreading ---- Somewhat back on topic

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Jun 11 04:49:19 PDT 2004

> You probably won't get anything like you rented for $7500, but there are lots

of good backhoe/loaders used around in the $4000-$8000 range. If you are handy

with tools, there are plenty around that need a little work.  Remember, yours

will probably never be put to work like the rental one either. I have bought

tractors that the owner said was wore out and had them operate well for many

years. Remember, the bigger they get, the heavier they are.

> Rob Gray wrote:

	I agree with this, Rob, there are a lot of decent used backhoes out
there in the $3K to $6K range. I've been watching the ads myself and reading
carefully. Most of them tell you up front "some engine work is needed" or
"there are several hydraulic cylinders that leak" or something similar. Buying
a decent used backhoe is just like buying antique tractors for your use or
collection. The first rule is you don't pay retail for them, you pay only
what a dealer would pay. That means you have to check them out carefully by
yourself or with the help of a friend and that you are responsible for any
mistakes. It also means you stay away from dealer's lots as they are in the
business of making money buying and selling. Most of these machines are too
old and too far gone to use in a business but are OK for occasional use on
your farm.

	I lost a bid last year on a municipal sealed bid sale. They had a
nice well kept loader/backhoe up for sealed bids. I looked it over carefully,
ran it, used both the loader and the hoe. It also came with two buckets. Had
an enclosed cab, lights and good tires. They were selling because they needed
something newer and quicker. I thought it over and bid $3563 but made a big
mistake, IMHO. I turned in my bid too early. I think I should have waited
until the last minute. One of the requirements was a bank check in full had
to accompany the bid. There were only a couple bids and wouldn't you know it,
a bid was turned in that beat me by $50. So, I lost. It would have been a
nice machine to have. I suppose I'll have to wait a long time to find another
one to match it but you never know. You might find a municipal auction down
there too if you keep your eyes open.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson