[AJD] 35 D

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Wed Jun 30 22:54:39 PDT 2004

Dee, Duane and others who responded.  The D is no longer stuck.  After
freeing the last valve with a hydraulic press I removed the left
cylinder(the one I thought was stuck) rod cap and sure enough the right
piston was free.  I turned a large piece of oak (fire wood) into a cylinder
that would fit into the cylinder with close tolerance and used a BFH on it
and the piston moved at first about 1/8" and then an inch and then I could
move it forward to it's former position with the flywheel.

Today I rounded up the gaskets and may have it together by the weekend.  The
next question is what oil to use?  The owners manual says to use 50wt above
90*, 40wt from 65* to 90*, and 30wt from 32* to 65*.  Is anyone using a
multi-weight oil?  This is a tractor that will not be worked, just played
with and used for parades and such.  Is there a good reason not to use a
multi-weight oil?  If using a straight weight oil, would it make sense to go
a lighter weight such as 30wt for summer use since it won't be bubjected to
the beating that a working tractor would take.  Am I missing something
important  here?

I plan to button it up and put some diesel fuel in it and tow it around a
bit then drain and change the filter and fill with oil.  I'm getting anxious
to hear it run.

Gary