[Steam-engine] traction engine transport

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 05:58:53 PDT 2004

If the engine really weighs what your post says, I
think that a 1 ton truck & gooseneck would do a nice
job for you. Make sure that the trailer has stout
ramps and a strong winch. It is easy to underestimate
the weight of an engine.  We had a "fun" trip getting
the Huber 16 home on a tag trailer.  The engine
clearly weighed more than I thought it did.  No matter
what you use watch the over-all height.  You don't
want to lose a stack or canopy.  Also pay special
attention to the canopy and do what you need to so the
wind does't remove it during transport.
--- James Mackessy <jmackess at twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi All;
>       A friend just purchased a "baby" Frick, and is
> looking for a way to
> get it home. The
> engine is near Fremont, Ohio, and needs to be
> brought to Camillus, New York,
> just
> west of Syracuse. Weight is between 12,000 and
> 13,000 pounds, according to
> catalog
> figures. He has a Dodge 600 and a three axle
> trailer, but both are a little
> rough to trust
> this load to for this distance. Any ideas on how to
> get her home? If he does
> decide to
> try and haul himself, what regulations are we going
> to have to deal with, if
> any? Is there
> a company that rents suitable equipment for a one
> way run, or is there a
> "Traction engine
> friendly" trucking company any of you use? Any help
> would be greatly
> appreciated!
> Thanks in advance!
> Jim Mackessy