[AT] CUBFEST 2004

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Jun 16 11:42:23 PDT 2004

	Below is a copy of the last posting I made to the board at:
www.farmallcub.com
##############################

Wow, CUB FEST 2004 is day after tomorrow... I'm sure I will
be ready by a week from Tuesday...
Glub, glub, glub... It just won't quit raining. Its not
helping me get ready at all. Not too big a problem otherwise
as we sit on high ground and even with all of the rain the
ground is still firm enough to drive on most any place. Also
they are promising no rain locally at all Friday (fingers
crossed) and only a "chance" of late evening pop up rains
"late" Saturday. Sunday is also a "Chance". Note that in
June in Indiana they always forecast a "chance" just to
cover their rears.
Most of the little patch of ground I sat aside to putter
with is also on high ground and with luck we will still be
able to putter fine on Saturday, maybe even Friday evening.
Again bring lawn chairs if you can, George is bringing some
chairs with him if you can't. If you have a folding table of
some kind that might help with the eating. Don't forget to
bring CUB stuff to share and implements if you like. Note:
V-8 CUBs weighing over 10,000 pounds will not be allowed in
the CUB pull.
If anyone has a belt pulley on their CUB I have a buzz saw
sitting here and we may need to cut a little more fire wood
(not responsible for lost fingers, hands, arms, toes etc.)
If anyone has a canopy, flea market type tent etc. feel free
to bring it along and set it up.
Remember, I am just hosting this but it is your CUB FEST and
will be what we all make it.
*
*
I received the following question from someone and below it
is my answer to him. I just thought I would post it here as
general information.
*

 > We are planning to come to your Cubfest, but don't know
what to expect. Could you please let us know a little more ,
as to the number of people you expect and so on. Thanks,
*

Hi

Sorry to be so slow to respond but I've been very busy.
The scary part is that I don't really know what to expect...
This only the second CUB FEST that we as a group have had
and I can't get a handle on how many are coming. I keep
saying somewhere between 15 and 5,000. I think of this as
more of a gathering of friends than a tractor show as such.
What I mean is we are getting together with a bunch of CUBs
and hope to do some playing with them and some learning
about them but I have not made it a point to invite the
local general public. I have approached it maybe a little
more like a large family reunion than a carnival along the
highway. I hope this is making sense. The more CUB lovers
the better (with or without tractors). I just don't feel
that trying to attract throngs of locals with no real
interest but just looking for a diversion would add to this
particular event.
At the first one (held in Ohio) they held some unscheduled
workshops in the shop and a few minor repairs were made.
Some members brought some great literature to look through.
I have sat aside about an acre of ground where the guys can
maybe drop a plow in the ground. Some may bring disk or
grader blades. We are going to set up and have a "just for
fun" CUB pull. I have a sort of a sled and a bunch of
weights. I have a 2 mile walking trail about the farm and
for this week-end it will also be a CUB route. I have an
area picked out for CUB items anyone might bring along to
sell and some guys do a bit of swapping that they have
arranged ahead of time. Guest are encouraged to bring along
anything they might have to share with others like
literature, pictures (CUB's or grandchildren) or maybe some
unusual attachment they may have found or built.
At least one meal or maybe more will be a pitch-in dinner.
Last year things were just sort of decided as we went.
Sitting around the evening bonfire telling lies is also a
big part of the fun.
This is a 100 acre working farm that my parents bought most
of back in 1951. My 82 year old mother still lives here on
the farm just a few hundred feet north of my house. There is
absolutely nothing fancy about the farm. It is a very close
to town farm with a bunch of tired old buildings all
operated by one very tired old farmer (me) using mostly
tired old equipment. Warning! I tend to collect a lot of
what most normal people call junk. As if I don't drag home
enough stuff we are badly infested with "pack elves" who
carry "stuff" in at night. The warning is about the
abundance of rust present. My shop is in an old barn and
reflects my cluttering habits. I have work benches that I
have not seen the tops of in years. The shop does have new
white aluminum siding. Unfortunately it is still all stacked
in the old loft and not fastened on the sides of the barn yet.
We no longer have any livestock on the farm but chickens and
a few horses belonging to our 31 year old son's girl friend.
Our son, Scott, does farm with me some but works full time
away from the farm. He and his 8 year old son live at one
end of the farm in a smallish white house. My wife, Diana,
is very tolerant of my hobbies and really enjoys this kind
of get togethers with my old iron friends. Many wives do
come to these.
We are in the early stages of setting up a horse boarding
operation. Very early. We do hope to have part of it going
by this fall.
When you arrive (I think I sent you directions) you will
find signs telling you which way to enter etc.
Looking forward to meeting you.
--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).